Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Learning to bake, all over again!

I bake, it's what I do. I love to bake, always have. It brings me joy to see my kids' faces light up when there are warm cookies just out of the oven. I love to 'treat' my husband to his favorite snickerdoodle or molasses cookies. And truly, if given the choice of something to bring to a gathering I'd choose dessert! I like creating yummy treats and sharing them with others.

It occurred to me when I was diagnosed gluten intolerant that I might never again enjoy all my yummy favorites or be able to bring the joy of fresh baked goodies to others around me! So began the mission to figure out how I could use all my tried and true recipes, yet make them GF for all of us to enjoy. I wanted them to be edible, yummy and delicious. But, most of all I wanted my non-gluten free family and friends to enjoy my treats and not notice a difference.

So the search began. I started by scouring the internet for recipes and learned many things including a variety of alternative flours mixed together was best, and that often some sort of 'binder' needed to be used, like xanthan gum. I talked with everyone imaginable in my quest for a flour mix, and was given this recipe. Voila! I was back in business!

Fresh made GF chocolate chip oatmeal cookies
 So here's the flour mixture that I make. I buy all my flours through Bob's Red Mill. Their GF facility is dedicated GF so I trust them! And although you pay for shipping I have found that it is still cheaper to buy directly from them.

RICE FLOUR MIX

For most recipes this mix can be used cup for cup as a replacement flour. You will need to add
1/2 teaspoon to 1 teaspoon of xanthan gum for each cup of flour you use when baking. No need to add it for thickening things or when using it to batter food, like fried chicken.
3 cups Sweet White Rice Flour
3 Cups Brown Rice Flour
2 Cups Potato Starch
1 Cup Tapioca Flour


I mix it all together in my KitchenAid...be sure it mixes well - I usually mix it for a good five minutes. Store in an air tight container and you're ready to go!

So happy baking! I've used this flour in biscotti, every kind of cookie imagineable (including traditional holiday cut-out cookies), banana/pumpkin bars and homemade cakes and scones! It works EVERY time. The only thing to keep in mind is that rice flour dries out much quicker! So, we've learned to zip loc our treats and throw them in freezer!


1 comment:

  1. Didn't you make the banana bars for the triathalon? They were yummy!

    ReplyDelete