Saturday, January 22, 2011

A Couple of New Treats!

As I posted earlier, I work hard on replacing 'treats' that we have always loved and enjoyed.  This weekend I've had the chance to try two different new products and am extremely pleased with the outcome!

We had friends for dinner last night and I was looking a quick and easy dessert, yet family friendly too.  My old 'go to' would be a box of brownie mix with ice cream.  As I began to rummage through the pantry I came upon a bag of brownie mix that I picked up at a Gluten Free Fair this past fall ... here we go, perfect time to to them out.  They were AMAZING!  It was a mix made by SEVIERly GOOD - http://www.sevierlygoodgf.com/ .  I knew from the minute I licked the bowl that these were a keeper!  I added a few chocolate chips, made some homemade chocolate buttercream frosting and voila!  A super decadent treat that fit my time schedule and my tastebuds!  A little note on this product --- after looking at their website I emailed them when I realized how expensive shipping was!  WOW!  If you are local, their products are carried on a regular basis at Nature's Market in Kent, by Target.  I also have a cinnamon roll mix of theirs that I am eager to try!

The second treat I gave a shot at was donuts.  Now, I've mentioned before that I make donut holes from scratch using Pamela's Baking Mix.  Yet, I was after a 'real' donut - something I could frost and put sprinkles on...something the kids would be excited about!  Well, here's what I got:


So here's what I did...I purchased a Bob's Red Mill GF vanilla cake mix and made it as directed on the package.  I think you could add lots of different 'add-ins' including some different spices etc... and then I just scooped it into this newly purchased non-stick donut pan http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-6-Count-Nonstick-Donut-Pan/dp/B0002KZSSC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1295724811&sr=8-1 .

The kids were of course thrilled!  They are your true 'cake' donuts and frosted well once they were cooled a bit.  Everyone enjoyed the chocolate ones a bit more than the glazed ones and be forewarned, don't overfill the pan :)  They grow just like a cupcake!




No comments:

Post a Comment