Monday, February 7, 2011

Mmmmmmm! Pumpkin Bread!

I was in the mood for baking today - but couldn't decide what it was I wanted...cookies, muffins, chocolates, what?  Obviously, something on the sweeter side seemed to be fitting the bill!  As I finished up some of my Monday chores, it felt like a pumpkin kind of day - pumpkin bread that is!

Out to the freezer I went - yep, you read that right, the freezer!  See in my crazy food world I use fresh pumpkin, not canned!  This past fall when we were bustling about the pumpkin patches full of those bright orange gems, I gathered myself six perfect sugar pumpkins! 

They are super easy to cook down and freeze, just cut them up into chunks (after seeding them, of course), place in a shallow (I use a 9x13 pan) baking dish with a bit of water and put them in the oven at 250 degrees for a bit (probably an hour to an hour and a half).  You'll know their done when you put a fork into it and it slides right out.  Let them cool real well, peel the skin off and run them through your food processor.  Most all of my recipes call for 2 cups of pumpkin, so I put them in 2 quart freezer bags by the 2-cup portions, place the bags on a cookie sheet and freeze.  Once they are frozen you can remove them from the cookie sheet. Note to self...take my word for it and use a cookie sheet!  If not, be prepared to pull frozen pumpkin from between the 'rungs' of your freezer shelf...not that I've ever had to do that or anything!

Honestly, you will never taste a pumpkin muffin, bread or pie that tastes better than those made with fresh pumpkin!  And, did you realize how good pumpkin is for you?  It's low in calories and FULL of disease fighting nutrients like alpha-carotene, beta-carotene, fiber, vitamins C and E, panthothenic acid, potassium and magnesium. I could go on and on...but really - I do love pumpkin and it's a great benefit that it is good for me too!  Makes me feel a wee bit better about making a sweet treat!

So - here's what I did...using my tried and true pumpkin bread recipe, I swapped out the regular flour for my rice blend, adding the appropriate amount of xanthan gum. 



Then I added a few extra spices!  Have I mentioned how much I LOVE good spices and herbs?  I am a fan of Penzey's, and added these yummy spices to the mix...

Then I finished mixing and voila!  Pumpkin bread that is oven ready!  I like to add chocolate chips to my pumpkin bread, makes for such a decadent treat!



 And the finished product leaves my house smelling AMAZING, my kids' tummys full and a smile on my face that once again I enjoy one of my favorite treats, sans the gluten!


No comments:

Post a Comment